8.05.2015

I like that about a season

When I woke up to see August 1 big and proud on my phone this weekend, I winced, realizing we are one month away from the start of school. I never want summer to end. Until this week, it's been hot and sunny and gorgeous every day. It feels like a summer that really knows itself, what it's supposed to be, and I like that about a season.

Summer in Seattle is kind of like heaven. People are outside as much as possible. I've hammocked in as many parks as I can, swam in as many bodies of water that I can, and I judge any potential eatery or coffee shop by the ability to sit outside. 

It is also the perfect time to have visitors. I'm so grateful for friends who remind you of goodness. Adventuring with friends, sharing the pure beauty of a place is one of life's greatest joys.

It is a season for watching the sunset from a hammock, exploring Deception Pass and poking around in the tidal pools like amateur marine biologists, eating the best sandwich in Seattle, having drinks with a view of the Olympics, and discovering the most beautiful hidden lakes in the Cascades.





It's also been lovely to read as many novels as I can. At the start of last year, one of my instructors told us to read something for fun while in grad school, otherwise we would hate reading by the end of it. So I kept a novel by my bed all of last year, and sure, it took me two months to finish a book, but it was a worthwhile reprieve. This summer's not long enough for all the books I hoped to savor.

Like everyone else in America, I just finished Harper Lee's new book. I approached Go Set A Watchman skeptically, afraid the rumors about one of my greatest literary heroes would be true, and afraid that the reclusive Harper Lee's 60-year-old manuscript just wouldn't resonate like To Kill A Mockingbird. While the rumors turned out to be true, they were also incomplete. And while it's not Mockingbird and we were wrong to expect it to be, the beloved characters still had something to teach me. I wept as the kindred-spirited Scout came to some heavy realizations.

I appreciate these words from Scout's Uncle Jack:

Remember this also: it's always easy to look back and see what we were, yesterday, ten years ago. It is hard to see what we are. If you can master that trick, you'll get along.

And with that, I'm determined to make the very most of these next four weeks of summer. Don't let me down, Seattle.

2 comments: