4.19.2014

Stay here and keep watch

This week, I remembered the power of the resurrection. It has the ability to touch and transform our daily lives. God's desire to renew all things is as much for the earth as it is for the heavens. "The power that comes from God is ready to be brought into our human situation, and in such a way, as to transform it."


Yesterday we remembered the journey to the cross and sang, "Stay here and keep watch with me; the hour has come. Stay here and keep watch with me; watch and pray." It was an incredibly poignant time together, as we prayed, remembered, sang, and sat silent. We closed with a mass pilgrimage to the altar, an open invitation to kneel at the cross with your prayers and burdens. The three o'clock sun streamed in the high church windows as people queued quietly. I was struck again, as I often am on Good Friday, by the current of hope among the people. We sing somberly and hear the heart-wrenching story of Jesus' journey to his death. The mood is solemn and earnest. But as people rise to go to the cross, there is a profound hopefulness. We know that we keep watch not only for the seven last words of Jesus, but we also watch and wait for the resurrection. Because Sunday's coming. We have the gift of living on this side of the cross. And after 40 days of spring-tide and a holy week, we're ready to celebrate.

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment