7.27.2012

We are half-hearted creatures

I read something in a book the other day that keeps coming back to me.  From fellow writer and pilgrim C.S. Lewis:

It would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak.  We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea.  We are far too easily pleased.

Most of the time I consider my desires or aspirations too great, that I am asking too much, dreaming too big.  I fear sometimes that my resolve toward a greater sense of purpose is a selfish dissatisfaction.  But perhaps I've been wrong.  Maybe it's just that what I imagine is too small, my desires too weak.  Am I far too easily pleased?

I do think there is a difference between a human desire or a thoughtless dissatisfaction and a spiritual longing.  The desires that our Lord finds too weak are the ones rooted in who he created us to be, the ones that bring us infinite joy and a life of wholeness.  I am constantly challenged by the need to check my humility and reposition my hunger toward the One who wants to give us the moon.

Infinite joy.  I hardly know what to make of that.  But I guess my prayer would be that God would grant me the vision to see what he sees, to imagine the holiday at sea.  

I want to live a life so rich with wonder that this story cannot help but bespeak a Maker who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment