5.17.2012

It keeps me up at night

Hi from here.
It's been a week of good, bad, and everything in between.
But in this moment?  It's good.  It's whole.  And it's beautiful.
I've learned I need to keep a keen eye out for these moments.  They can easily slip right by you.  Especially if you're all too aware of the not-so-good.  Which I have been lately.

I'm sitting in one of my favorite cafes.  It's 70 degrees and gorgeous in Chicago.  And I have the day off.  Bliss.

I was working on this writing piece for my brother and some friends who work for this amazing little international organization that helps make the world a better place.  They are in the midst of applying for all these grants and asked me to help them put together a summary of the organization's ministry.  The question they gave me was this:

Tell us, in a few paragraphs, how your ministry gives life to those you serve.

As I was writing, I kept coming back to that question.  Life-giving.  
I wonder...how does my ministry give life to those I serve?

I am one who believes that ministry is in the everyday, that I am meant to somehow serve in my daily movements.  So how is my everyday giving life to those around me?  I feel like I've been rather sucked of life lately, so how could I possibly offer it to others.  

I don't know if you're familiar with John Green.  I mentioned one of his books a while ago, the Fault in Our Stars, which is positively amazing.  Anyway, he has a little online community of "nerdfighters" and their motto is:  We fight to increase awesomeness and decrease suck.

I love that.  But I'm not always very good at it.

I have this app on my dashboard from TED Talks, one big question everyday.  The question that popped up the other day was:  

What brings you JOY?

Which reminded me of this verse I recently read in the Gospel of John:  "Abide in my love. That my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

So I've been thinking about joy and life-giving and increasing awesomeness and decreasing suck.  It keeps me up at night.

In the mean time, my vegetables are in the ground.  They seem rather happy to be there. There's even a baby green pepper on it's way.  Also, our farmer's market opens this weekend.  Which does indeed bring me joy.


1 comment:

  1. amen, amen sister! And yeah for plants in the ground and farmer's markets! God's good earth gives us good things to eat! Much love to you today, friend!

    ReplyDelete