2.16.2012

I hereby accept the frame of the canvas

I've been working on this project for a while now, a painting commissioned by a friend.  It has taken me a bit to gather materials and information - culling ideas from my limited knowledge of color, design, and experience of the world.  For a while, it felt rather stale - not propelled by any particular objective or contraint.  But suddenly the ideas I had been gleaning started to come together.  I began to see all sorts of connections within the project, remembering my artistry and my instincts.

Ah yes, this is why I do what I do.  
Sometimes when I haven't been "in the studio" for a while, I forget my sense of ability, my inherent tendency as an artist.  It is just as my art instructors always said:  you must practice art to make art.

I have always approached my commitment to the arts as more of a life-style than a career choice.  I don't make art in order to achieve any sort of fame or fortune.  I create because it is in my being to do so.  I create because I am created.  I create because it brings me closer to who I was created to be.

So when I set out to "make a painting," it can feel strange at first - the task too grand and the canvas or paper too confining.  But when I stand before a block of white space, I remember this statement I heard an artist (a painter) once proclaim:
I hereby accept the frame of the canvas.

I stood before my latest project, the expanse of white, with ideas, images, and colors whirling foggily around my head and acknowledged the frame, accepted my mission.  It is a limitation that provides it's own set of problems and a unique challenge, but it is also such a beautifully concentrated space of creativity for the painter.  I put down layers of color and thought on the canvas, and the painting began to emerge.  My months of laboring and imagining were suddenly visible, manifesting themselves in a tangible space. Within the frame of the canvas.

To create is such a personal act, an exhibition of the artist's inner thoughts for the world to see.  I feel most vulnerable when I've completed a piece, and it sits for people to survey, judge, and infer meaning.  It may be impossible for the world to fully understand the artist's intent.  A painting is like a porthole to the artist's reverie.  And so it is always with great pleasure, apprehension, and humility, that I present my work to you all.

Working Title: In between all that space, all that blue, 2012
30" x 40"


4 comments:

  1. I love this painting. What you said about "not being in the studio," I have experienced that before. Not specifically with art... but experienced it nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's beautiful :) I can't imagine having something like that in my head, but it must be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful canvas frame i like this thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete