5.26.2011

The wonder of skinny love

This city has been rainy and cold all week - it's felt more like the Pacific Northwest than the Great Plains.  I've been aching to sit down with the Times or "Travels with Charley" while the colors of the world blurr in the drizzle.  But alas, cafe lattes and vanilla cardamom scones have kept me waiting - just trying to fuel the cogs of this grand metropolis - one pastry at a time.

You ever have one of those perfect moments, where it seems everything is lined up just as it should be?

It's incredibly brief and fleeting, and if you're not quiet and attentive, you'll miss it all together.  But for just a few seconds, it all seems right - just so.  It's been a while.  I feel like I've been bustling and schlepping about too much to notice these portholes of grace. Amidst the grey rainfall of this week, the other day I slowed down just enough to catch a glimpse - giving my spirit the spur it needed in that moment.  I think it may have had something to do with the patisserie's steaming windows that reminded me of Bruges and Bon Iver's "Skinny Love."  

Usually in that instant you have but a moment to recognize it's presence and be grateful, because like the day's first light, it's gone before you can take a breath.

So, I bid you a flicker of wonder.  Come on then skinny love.

No comments:

Post a Comment