2.22.2011

It's Tuesday

"We're Tuesday people. "  Ever since I read Tuesdays with Morrie I've had this thing for Tuesdays.  I like to think that along with Mitch and Morrie, I'm a Tuesday person.  I don't know, I guess there's just something about Tuesday.  Who says you have to live for Friday, what's wrong with Tuesday?

One of my favourite moments in Tuesdays with Morrie is when Mitch is "complaining about the confusion of my age, what is expected of me versus what I want for myself."  I think about that all the time, because most of the time I don't live up to what is expected of me at all.  Most of the time I feel like I live in the tension, the "in between."  Sometimes I hate expectations and I hate that we feel the need to live up to them (because let's be honest...none of us can live up to all that is expected of us).  On the flipside, I guess expectations are good in that they give us a goal, a standard, something to strive for, and perhaps a little bit of shaping of our character and our behavior (let's hope so).   But I love Morrie's response to Mitch's complaining, it gives me hope - for myself, for society, for the world:

     "Have I told you about the tension of opposites?" he says.
     The tension of opposites?
     "Life is a series of pulls back and forth.  You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else.  Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't.  You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted.
     "A tension of opposites, like a pull on a rubber band.  And most of us live somewhere in the middle."
     Sounds like a wrestling match, I say.
     "A wrestling match."  He laughs.  "Yes, you could describe life that way."
     So which side wins, I ask?
     "Which side wins?"
     He smiles at me, the crinkled eyes, the crooked teeth.
     "Love wins.  Love always wins."

1 comment: